This year I wanted something that could be served warm or cold, went well with the other Super Bowl food groups (chips, dips, things made in a crock pot, things made on a grill, beer), and was considered a comfort food. I found a recipe for Mac and Cheese Bites and made some of my own additions!
- 6 Strips of Bacon (or 8 if you like to eat a couple pieces while you cook like me.
- 2 Cups Elbow Macaroni (although you could probably get creative and choose your favorite pasta)
- 1/2 Cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- One Egg (whipped)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit)
- Cook your bacon. When it's to your desired level of crispiness, set it aside.
- Grease your cupcake tins.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Sprinkle in some salt. Add macaroni and let boil for 8 minutes. It should be a little less soft then if you were ready to serve it. Drain noodles and place back into pot.
- Add butter and egg to the pot and allow butter to melt while coating noodles. Do a solid amount of mixing here. Add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Add bacon and both cheeses and mix while cheese melts. A lot of cheese gets stuck to the spoon, don't let it just hang out there! Mix it in with the rest!
- Spoon mixture into cupcake tins. I had some extra, so i put it in a glass dish and stuck it in the oven too... Hello lunch!
- Mix together breadcrumbs, salt and olive oil. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top.
- Put those little babies in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the tops become a lovely golden brown.
- Let them set for 5-10 minutes before taking them out the tins. This allows the cheese to really set and hold the bites together. I found that using a fork was the easiest way to pop them out.
|Into the tins. Add your breadcrumbs. Ta-Da!|
I always think things like this look really impressive, even if they are easy to make! Try them out as an appetizer or a side dish!